"Broadway Scene Stealers - The Men" offers a rich panoply of songs from some of the theater's most gifted male artists. Chief among them is Cyril Ritchard, whose portrayal of Captain Hook in the Jule Styne, Betty Comden and Adolph Green Peter Pan has become one of the classic performances in Broadway musical history. Here he offers his "Captain Hook's Waltz," done with incomparable comic relish. Another great show from the 1950s, Frank Loesser's The Most Happy Fella, is represented here with Art Lund's stunning solo, "Joey, Joey, Joey."
Unknown young performers can always help give an audience a sense of discovery. Although the Andrews Sisters were the stars of the 1974 nostalgia musical Over Here!, it was John Travolta, in his pre-Hollywood days, who leaped to attention with a smooth-voiced rendition of "Dream Drummin" and "Soft Music." One of the best-known songs in this collection comes from Gypsy, the 1959 landmark musical drama starring Ethel Merman as the indomitable stage mother, Rose. Although most hits from a Merman show were sung by Merman, Gypsy gave the young Paul Wallace a terrific showcase with the first-act solo, "All I Need is the Girl."
Click Here to Listen to Song Clips
1. Into The Woods: "Giants In The Sky" - Ben Wright
2. Gypsy: "All I Need Is The Girl" - Paul Wallace
3. Over Here!: "Dream Drummin'"/"Soft Music" - John Travolta
4. Ain't Misbehavin': "The Viper's Drag" - Andre de Shields
5. Merrily We Roll Along: "Franklin Shepard, Inc." - Lonny Price
6. 1776" "The Lees Of Old Virginia" - Ron Holgate
7. Barnum: "Bigger Isn't Better" - Leonard John Crofoot
8. Fiddler on the Roof: "Miracle Of Miracles" - Austin Pendleton
9. Little Me: "I've Got Your Number" - Swen Swenson
10. The Most Happy Fella: "Joey, Joey, Joey" - Art Lund
11. Peter Pan: "Captain Hook's Waltz" - Cyril Ritchard
12. Chicago: "Mr. Cellophane"- Barney Martin